Organic Spices and Herbs – Keep Them Fresh
Don't lose the value of your investment in buying quality organic spices and seasonings because you failed the test for proper storage and handling. Here are a few tips to help you get the best results:
- Refrigerate or freeze oil-rich seeds. Poppy and sesame seeds, along with pine nuts will last longer and won't get rancid if you put them in the freezer.
- Refrigerate the red-colored stuff. Cayenne pepper, chili power and paprika keep better in the ice box.
- Whole herbs and spices last longer than the ground up type. In either case, store your spices and organic seasonings in airtight containers such as glass jars, plastic or tins to protect them from moisture.
- Avoid storing spices and organic herbs close to the stove, oven or any where that heat or rising steam can come into contact with them. Preserve the flavor and color or your spices by storing them in a cool, dry place away from the bright light.
- Finally, be sure to close your container tightly after each use.
Fresh herbs, like Oregano, can be stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 - five days. A good idea is to put a dampened paper towel in the bag or even put the stems in a glass of water with the bag tented over it. If you have a vacuum sealer you might trip stripping the leaves from the stems, seal in the bag and store in the freezer in a spot that they will not be crushed.
You likely spend a little more to buy organic spices, herbs and seasonings because they make a difference in the quality of the foods you prepare. Making sure you store them properly is the first step to delivering on your desire to make a difference with what you serve. Spices don't last forever and the new year is a wonderful time to make sure you are on track with your preparation and commitment to serve your family and friends with tasty dishes.
What's the next step? Easy. Take a look at your spice rack and make sure it is properly located then sort through your various spices and identify how each should be stored. While you are at it check the date stamp on your spices, herbs and seasonings. Replaced the out-of-date ones with up-to-date selections.
Now you know your best efforts in the kitchen will be supported with using quality seasonings and the best organic spices and herbs. Get ready, the compliments are on the way!
|Doug retired from his position as the General Manager / CEO of one of the largest real estate franchise networks in the country a dozen years ago. He continues to play golf and enjoys the opportunity to fish and hunt in the water wonderland of his home state, Michigan. Through out his life he has always been somewhat of a closet chief and prides himself as a Grill Master so it is not surprising to family and friends that he and his wife of thirty five years have opened Organ Spices Rack that focuses on providing quality spices, herbs and seasonings for the kitchen and grill.|